Well, here we go again – and once again, here’s my stance on the whole .xxx idea:
– “Harmful to minors” is in the eye of the beholder. It is unconstitutional for a law to be vague, since it means people can’t know if they’re breaking the law or not. Is a warez site “harmful to minors” since it corrupts their morals? How about frank discussions of wartime atrocities? Sites that debunk Santa Claus?
– This particular proposed law would require, for instance, websites for crappy teenage hijinks movies (Dukes of Hazard, etc) to use the .xxx domain. Basically, anything sexual that has no artistic or social merit gets taggede
– Laws like this impringe on adults’ rights to free speech. Have a blog where you share your innermost thoughts? Hosted on a .com? Write about the hot sex you had last night, get fined (or go to jail).
And, of course, in addition to the blatant unconstitutionality, there’s the fact that it’s pointless: .com is an international domain.
The only solution for this kind of thing is a .kids type domain, where only content that meets certain criteria is allowed in. Trying to regulate the entire world’s speech in the .com domain “for the children” is a bad idea, totally unconstitutional, and ultimately doomed to failure anyway, since .com is an internataionl domain.
Then thinking logically about this, let’s look at it the other way around. The government has harmed more minors than any pedophile on the planet:
– They wont pass national healthcare, so millions of children do not have healthcare.
– They do not properly fund education, thus hurting millions of children
– They allow corperations to dictate our country and outsource jobs at an alarming rate, thus putting the parents of children out of work, thus taking away any healthcare they had. (if they had any)
– They send the children of parents off to die in an illegal war, started by the criminals that run our country. Bush, Cheney, Wolfiwitz, Rove, Powell, Delay, Abramof, Frist, Santorem, hatch, Leiberman, Kerry, and countless others. The ones that survive come back seriously injured and need special care their entire lives…which the government fails to provide.
Yes, they most certainly do hurt far more children than all the pedophiles on the planet combined. I’m not saying that porn something that should be mainstream, but come on. This is one of the worst parts of our American culture. Killing people is glorified but OH CHRIST DON’T LET ANYONE BE SEEN MAKING LOVE!